Best Game Boy Game of all time and Why?

I've been feeling quite nostalgic for the original Game Boy. I loved that brick to death. It was my introduction and first love with video games. I loved Yoshi, and TMNT.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_II_-_Back_from_the_Sewers_Coverart.png

I didn't care that there was a TMNT 1, this is the one I had and I played the shit out of it. At first I thought the game was terrible, but I kept playing because dammit did I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You could pick from the four of them, each with little different between them. Raphael seemed to attack faster and Donatello obviously seemed to have the best range. You could make them jump really high and they'd do a flip animation, but honestly this game looked like crap and was really poorly animated. The turtles would talk (as best they could with the Game Boy audio) and they'd make sound effects if they got hurt. You beat up a ton of different enemies and the levels were varied enough.

There was some strategy to picking characters (if they really were different statistically). If a turtle died during a level, you'd have to make it through to the end of the level without losing any health to bring them back. On the character select screen it just had pictures of all the turtles and if they had died they were behind bars. So weird. I played this game over and over and over again and finally beat Shredder. I shouted at the end. I know everyone on the site says I'm shit at video games but I have my moments or my games and this was definitely my game. I loved playing it endlessly with my headphones in. I would drain entire sets of batteries on this game in one sitting. I... hate that I've lost it.

My favorite part of the game was the music though. I've featured it on GR Radio in the past, but I'm going to link to a couple of tracks for your ears:
http://youtu.be/0b4vClHa6Po
http://youtu.be/eaiJ5GJUNMo
http://youtu.be/UkDdRJ6VYGI

This made my 90s. My gameboy, a pair of cheap ear buds that would leak the sound like crazy, and the volume ALL THE WAY UP. I'd sit in the back of my parents blue Ford van on our way to the lake for boating and camping or to my grandma's or across the country entirely... TWICE. I loved this game so much and the GameBoy, so tell me ALL about your favorite GameBoy game and why it kicks TMNTII's ass.

I have that game in my closet, and I get to look at it every day. Eat it, Danny. PIZZA TIME!

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins probably is my most played classic Gameboy game, and I love the first one as well even though I hardly got to play it, but Donkey Kong was my favorite.

Then there's Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver. Oh the adventures. The memories. The countless amount of time spent under a lamp. Our children will never know that kind of simple pleasure.

That's a tough call.

Similar to De-Ting, I'm gonna have to say Pokemon, but for me personally it was Pokemon: Gold. I had Pokemon: Yellow (my first Pokemon game) but Gold was much better for me.

I must have been eleven or twelve years old when the game came out, I got Gold version for Christmas and my brother got Silver. We used to battle and trade Pokemon all the time. I remember every two years, we'd go on a road trip down south interstate to see family, so those Gameboys and Pokemon games came in handy.

I really preferred Gold over Yellow, because there were more Pokemon, but not THAT much more like today's games. There was more moves, more items, more strategy, breeding Pokemon etc. I think the best thing about the game is once you defeat the Elite Four and then your rival, it's like, holy crap you get to go back to Kanto! The old Red/Blue/Yellow lands! That's awesome. Do all those badges and stuff and then the absolute final boss battle of the game? Trainer Red, AKA Ash, the player's character of the Red/Blue/Yellow games. Holy, crap. As a twelve year old, that's insanely epic.

Either Final Fantasy Adventure (basically Secret of Mana GB) or Zelda Links Awakening.

Actually, after further thought Zelda: LA has a much more nostalgic effect on me. I think I just like FFA cuz it was GB SoM but I played it after the fact. While vacationing/travelining as a youngin' Links Awakening was easily the number 1 played game in my huge gameboy shaped carrying case. Pokemon is pretty close on this list too, but it was first a ROM then a gameboy game to me. I can still sing the entire theme song from the cartoon.

link1_t.png

So many memories. The music is beautiful in that game.

I always got stuck on the same damn part on FF Adventures.

The games I played the most on Game Boy were

107304-samurai-shodown-game-boy-screenshot-charlotte-feels-the-power.png

Samurai Shodown

460459-battletoads-game-boy-screenshot-guess-what-this-arm-will-do.png

Battletoads

20642-mortal-kombat-game-boy-screenshot-liu-kang-vs-scorpion-1-s.gif

Mortal Kombat

Yeah, gotta say Silver/Gold/Crystal.

I played the absolute shit out of Gold, and then Crystal. Hell, i played it so much when my (crystal) cartridge died my mate gave me a free one in French (long story) and i played the shit out of that.

De-Ting said:
Then there's Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver. Oh the adventures. The memories. The countless amount of time spent under a lamp. Our children will never know that kind of simple pleasure.
You didn't live unless you had one of those little plug in worm lights. That thing improved it by orders of magnitude - i can play while in a car trip at night, now!

Also, the 1st time my cousin showed me the duplicate pokemon glitch. I distinctly remember having a party consisting of nothing but Level 47/48 Typhlosion at one point.

So, yeah. Pokemon 2nd gen. Back when is was both huge and still relatively simple.

Darkwing Duck is great. I had some weird cart that seemed to have bazillion games on it and DD was one of them. Other favorites from that were an Asterix game and Gargoyles Quest.

Super Mario Land 2 is awesome even by todays standards.

But Pokemon probably takes the top place for me. The reason I got a gameboy in the first place. Everything else was just neat extra.

madster111 said:
Yeah, gotta say Silver/Gold/Crystal.

I played the absolute shit out of Gold, and then Crystal. Hell, i played it so much when my (crystal) cartridge died my mate gave me a free one in French (long story) and i played the shit out of that.

De-Ting said:
You didn't live unless you had one of those little plug in worm lights. That thing improved it by orders of magnitude - i can play while in a car trip at night, now!

Also, the 1st time my cousin showed me the duplicate pokemon glitch. I distinctly remember having a party consisting of nothing but Level 47/48 Typhlosion at one point.

So, yeah. Pokemon 2nd gen. Back when is was both huge and still relatively simple.

First i played pokemon yellow, then my mom bought me pokemon silver as a gift. I enjoyed playing both and i remember that glitch too. I even duplicate my master balls. I used to have 3 lugia and 3 Hoho. LOL Then my dad gave a me a crystal version. I enjoy the game much more, hunting the 3 legendary dogs is really pain in the ass.

Ohh, the Game Boy, been a while since I played that awesome console. Talking about it is already giving me nostalgia for it.
My personal favorite will always be Pokemon, both Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver.
I played those games when the first came out like there was no tomorrow, and they amazed me at the time.
My most fond memories was when I first entered the Pokemon Tower in the infamous Lavender Town, I was actually genuinely creeped out, or even a little scared, when I entered the place. I mean, the music's pretty creepy and I remember being creeped out of Ghost as well as the Channelers that said stuff like "Zombies...", "Give me your blood!", that kind of stuff.
I still have my Yellow version, although it's disappointing to find out that I can no longer save on my Gold version, the internal battery died (or whatever it's called).
I also liked Super Mario Land 1 and 2 (still have 'em), Wario Land, Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2 (also still have them). Definitely still plan to keep them, but now I'm thinking of buying a Super Game Boy because, how awesome is it to play them on an actual TV?

Hmm, this is a really tough question actually. I'm kind of torn between a couple of them.

I'd definitely have to say that Aria of Sorrow was the best gameboy game. It was a perfect example of what a castlevania game should be like. And seeing as how I backed Bloodstained, I really hope IGA remembers how to work his magic.

Metroid Fusion takes a close second, being the first game in the franchise I played, it has a lot of sentimentality points, so I think I'll have to rank it lower than AoS. Just in case it's a case of rose colored glasses.

Third is both Golden Sun games. It's pretty clear they were meant to be one game, so I'm going to consider them as one game. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy RPGs as much as I enjoy action games, but it's an amazing game nonetheless.

The Final Fantasy port i think is the best one for me. I love JRPG games and i could only find some of them near my place at that time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod