Black Panther Discussion Thread

So I watched Black Panther last night and bloody hell.

I've fallen away from superhero films a lot recently, but Black Panther seemed unmissable so I gave it a shot. It's the best blockbuster I've seen quite some time and has surpassed The Avengers as my favourite Marvel movie.

Killmonger was an excellent villain and Michael B. Jordan killed it. I loved how the atmosphere of the movie completely changed every time he was onscreen. Complete scene-stealer.

What are GR's thoughts on it?

I watched Black Panther last night.

I think as a Hollywood film, it's a good step in the right direction. The film features a huge cast of actors and actresses with African heritage, and the film features female characters who are strong and intelligent, not mere damsels in distress. The film also focuses on different cultures that are not so known to us (yes, I realize Wakanda is fictional, but in most action films, it's 'Merica).

I know a lot of people say "but Blade already has a black actor, so does Hancock" etc. but seriously, go watch Black Panther and you'll see why people deem it as an important film to watch.

As a story though, I didn't think it was that awesome, to be honest. I liked the story and Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger was awesome (a sympathetic villain played very well), but it just didn't seem as fantastic as the Internet says it is. The film is incredibly CGI heavy... and I'm well aware most Marvel movies are, but to me, the CGI in this one just felt kinda off putting.

My favourite Marvel films to date is a close tie between Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 and Thor: Ragnarok.

Still, I enjoyed Black Panther and would recommend it to anyone who either A - enjoys action movies or/and B - enjoys superhero films. If you're a fan of the MCU, then you've definitely gotta watch it.

I liked it a lot. Not sure I agree it's the best MCU movie to date, but I think it may have been the one with the most important message.

Jordan knocked it out of the park as Killmonger! Really, everyone in the movie did great, but he stole the spotlight nearly every time he was on-screen.

I have to agree with something my wife and brother-in-law said though. It would have been nice to see a bit more of the day-to-day lives in Wakanda, rather than just the kingmaking ceremony, the head of government, and the lie of farming they portray to the world. At best we saw a marketplace that looked like a street out of Delhi. This is a high tech society, and I want to see some of it.

I know a lot of people say "but Blade already has a black actor, so does Hancock" etc. but seriously, go watch Black Panther and you'll see why people deem it as an important film to watch.

"A black actor" pretty much says it all, huh?

"A black actor" pretty much says it all, huh?

I know, right?

When ever I read these comments on social media, it's always from the same type of person - a white guy (and I say this, as a white guy myself).

People can be so unbelievably dumb when it comes to fictional media like film. I mean, for God's sake, people (white guys) tried to boycott Star Wars: The Force Awakens because one of the protagonists is a woman and the other is of African descent.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod