Cosplay, anyone?

I spent a huge chunk of my weekend working on my cosplay.

I don't have a picture, but I've made a good start to the boots/shin guards. As for pictures... here's my Vader suit so far.

ocNpVx4.jpg

My friend sourced me one of those cheaper "FX" lightsabers. It's not a "Black" series by any means... but it's still awesome and I'm so stoked that he got it for me.

I've mentioned it before, but the helmet is one of those old school voice changing helmet toys. Unfortunately, I had to cut the centre box free from the helmet so I could have it properly on my stomach, like Vader does. The buttons still work and allow me to make noises like Vader's breathing and some of his quotes, but sadly, the voice changer won't work anymore as the wire has been cut. Still... the voice changer was never great to begin with.

The helmet really does mess with my line of sight. I'm going to try and better adjust the helmet so I might be able to not only improve my sight, but also make the helmet a bit more comfortable to wear.

hpb9rKU.jpg

I still need to sort out the under robes and the cape, but they're on the way! My dear mum (love her so much) is a pro with sewing, and offered to make my cape and under robes. I feel so childish and immature that "my mum" is doing this for me, but at the end of the day, I didn't ask, she offered. Incredibly awesome of her to do that for me.

JwpbIw5.jpg

The chest piece. I added three straps to the piece. One behind the neck and one behind each arm/shoulder. It's worn like a reverse backpack. I can put it on and remove it myself with plain clothes, but due to the thickness of the under suit, I need assistance. :( The straps were attached using sewing pins. It fits remarkably well, being light in weight and comfortable.

KLFCakW.jpg

2vuxdzv.jpg

The shoulders were finished as well. I was thinking about wearing them as separate prop pieces, using black elastic bands around my arms, but I felt it would be too annoying and difficult to put on and remove, especially with the under suit. Instead, I attached the shoulders to the chest piece, using elastic bands and sewing pins, so when you think about it, the shoulder pads function similar to the protective armor worn by American football players. Hope that makes sense?

fV0qFZg.jpg

I've made a start on the belt, this is the front belt piece... which is so dodgy. I'm unhappy with how it's come out, so I do want to try and remake it and put better care and effort into the next one. At the very least, it's practical, as it doubles as a phone holder! The circle needs to be a cleaner cut, as do the speaker lines... plus the entire silver thingo needs to be bigger, I reckon. I might be able to peel it off and keep the carry case as it is.

eJyxRje.jpg

I took the exact measurements of my phone, so my phone fits in there perfectly. I'll be adding in a few security straps with double sided velcro tape, just so that my phone doesn't fall out at all.

I'm kinda planning to play Star Wars music (like the Imperial March) from my phone whilst carrying it in this belt thingo.

Over the next week, I plan to finalize the boots/shin guards and hopefully the belt as well.

Last edited:
The lightsaber is awesome. Admittingly, it's a kid's toy, one of those "FX" lightsabers that you use to hit other lightsabers, but it's still really cool and I'm super happy that I've got a good lightsaber of some form.

As for the rest of the cosplay... I'm glad you like it, man. It's not perfect but I am trying to do a good job with the time and resources I have... I'm really surprised with how it's turned out. Better than I expected. :)

Last night I was in a really foul and shitty mood. Long story short, I've been under a lot of stress at work and things just haven't been going right for me, lately. So with that, I did bugger all work on my cosplay last night and instead chose to spend my time playing Middle-earth: Shadow of War for PS4.

That being said... I at the very least finally got around to re-doing my belt front piece.

eRaEybE.jpg

The top image is the new one, the bottom is the old.

Honestly, it's still not perfect and it's heavily flawed, but I believe it's a massive improvement and looks so much better.

I re-drew the new piece by hand and cut it out with my knife on 3mm EVA foam. Instead of cutting curved rectangles for the "speakers", I cut square rectangular ones. I thought it would be a lot easier and man it was so much easier.

The circle is bigger and smoother. We used the lid of a spray can to help us draw and cut the circle. My partner actually did this part for me, she used to do wood working in school and is very good at arts and crafts.

The two pieces were glued together, primed for about three layers, and then painted with spray paint for one layer or so. I then peeled the old front panel off the belt piece (or phone carry case) using my knife, and glued the new one back on.

Like I said... it's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement and I'm mostly happy with this outcome. At the end of the day, the most important thing about this prop piece is its practicality - it's to carry my phone, since my suit doesn't have pockets.

Mum's started working on my cape. Bless her.

I'm sick with the flu, but over the weekend I decided to try and get off my arse and work on my cosplay, as I've only got... well, a week and a half until PAX.

I finalized the groin piece and I made the belt functional. The belt isn't entirely ready, though.

A3c7qZd.jpg

With the centre panel piece, that was reluctantly cut free from my Darth Vader voice changer helmet. I stuck some velcro onto the jacket top as well as the back of the panel thing. As you can see, it's not on straight, but I can adjust it if need be.

The groin piece was annoying. When I wore it, it stuck out forward, so I honestly looked like Darth Boner. To get rid of that point, I added some straps to the back, which go behind the back of my legs and up to the elastic waist band of the groin piece so in a way, it's kinda worn like a harness. Once I have my under robes, you won't be able to see the top, flat sides of the groin piece.

As for the belt, it took a while, but I glued the front piece down onto the front (which successfully carries my phone) and I used velcro tape for the belt to seal on and off.

I'm currently waiting for a few items to dry before I work on them next, but where I live, it's very humid... so it's taking longer than expected for these last few things to dry. Once it's all dry, I'll be quickly painting over them by hand with acrylic based varnish, to seal in the paint and hopefully give it a bit of a shine.

zJqCNqO.jpg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Here it is, the complete cosplay:

Yl59O0m.jpg

I need to do a very few small adjustments (note: my lightsaber, while available, isn't in the photo)...

1 - Raise the middle piece so it's in the centre, in between the belt and the chest piece.
2 - Extend the belt's length by a few inches (it's a tad tight)
3 - Clean both the helmet and the centre piece with warm, soapy water and a rinsing cloth

Overall... I am super, super stoked.

My mother, bless her, finished the cape and under robes recently. Make no mistake, this is an incredibly warm outfit to wear, so I'm going to get hot in it quickly, meaning I have to try and stay hydrated as much as possible, or I can only spend a limited amount of time in the costume.

Hope you all like it!

Looks good, Craig! Can you hide a small hole in the mask that you could slip a straw through to drink without removing the helmet? Also recommend practice sitting down while wearing the cape. It can be surprisingly tricky sometimes.

IMAG0582.jpg Less cosplay and more just Halloween, but a first try at making the Leper's mask from Darkest Dungeon. Could have been better, but learned quite a bit along the way.

That mask looks awesome, Commiebot! Well done!

And MattAY, yeah, it's hard to pee, but luckily I didn't need to. I'll post more in a moment.

Last weekend I went down to PAX AUS 2017 and cosplayed for the first time at a convention. I loved it, had so much fun and met a lot of people. Quite a number of attendees came up to me and asked for a photo, to have a photo with me, and of course some people didn't ask at all and just snapped shots, but I suppose that comes with the territory.

I wore my Darth Vader suit for two hours, which beat my planned goal of one hour. I know it doesn't sound like a long time, especially with all the effort I did to put the costume together, but wearing that suit was a ridiculously warm experience, so to speak. Back home where I live, it's very humid, so even in an air conditioned room, I could only last ten minutes. Down south though due to the cooler and less humid weather, I lasted two hours before surrendering myself.

Here's some photos! If you have me on either Facebook or/and Instagram, you'll have probably seen these already.

lZuym7O.jpg

A stand alone shot. Unfortunately, the mold of my chest piece kinda changed shape at one stage, so it ended up sticking out a bit. It's a shame I didn't have a longer lightsaber as well.

KeDamRZ.jpg

An alternative shot.

U7qiJMo.jpg

This is a popular Australian cosplayer known as the Melbourne City Batman. I've met him before, he's a really nice guy who has three Batsuits. He has a Dark Knight/Christian Bale variation, a comic-book style morph suit (minus the cape, cowl/mask, boots, belt and gloves) and of course, the Batfleck suit, which looks fantastic.

odno4QC.jpg

Darth Vader versus Batman. An Injustice 2 DLC character? :p

J1A1dfo.jpg

Speaking of Injustice 2, this guy cosplayed as the Injustice 2 variation of Aquaman. He really liked my costume, and I thought he did a great job with his cosplay as well. I thought he was quite brave and confident to show off so much skin, because I could never do that.

58iM8H2.jpg

I got to meet Cosplay Chris, another popular Australian cosplayer and YouTuber. He took a more casual approach and cosplayed as the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End variation of Nathan Drake. Chris is a really nice and humble guy. I'm quite surprised that he took the time to talk to me for so long and was so open and honest when I asked him questions about his cosplay career.

vKKsvKC.jpg

Back to back pose. An unlikely duo.

kiZmzwe.jpg

More Injustice 2 cosplay. This is another popular Australian cosplayer that I follow and got to meet, Badge3D. As implied by his user name, he's really into 3D printing and is bloody good at it. All of the hard-surface props he's wearing were made by him using a 3D modelling program, then 3D printing it, followed by sanding, gluing, priming, painting etc. The crown he wore was impressive, as he was able to make it so the jaw piece moved when he spoke. The dude bloody looks like Superman even without the kit, he's strong as an ox.

x7lN0uc.jpg

This is probably my favourite photo. I love how the wind is catching our capes.

qj1KYAl.jpg

Last one! I got approached by members of the cosplay and Star Wars fan group, the Imperial 501st Legion, and they were really impressed with my Vader suit. The guy beside me made his own clone trooper armor from scratch... I forget what he used or how he made it, but the bloody thing felt like solid plastic, not like my EVA foam stuff. He did an amazing job.

So... all in all, I had a lot of fun, got to meet cool cosplayers and a lot of people really liked my cosplay, which made me so happy. I was so nervous to wear it, I've never done anything like this before but everyone was really positive and welcoming. I even got a professional photo done, with lights and everything :p so I'll be uploading that once I get it.

I did have some issues with the suit... here they are:

1 - It was too damn hot. That's primarily because the under suit, which while a separate set of jacket/trousers, were made using vinyl material and had absolutely no breathing room.

2 - Because of being in a cooler temperature, plus my body heat beneath the suit, the lenses of my helmet fogged up, making it very difficult to see.

3 - The front box I wore wasn't sticking properly to my jacket. It was stuck onto my jacket using double sided velcro tape, but there were times when it just fell off.

4 - I broke my lightsaber. Not fully, but one time the box dropped off me, I tried to catch it, ended up dropping my saber. My saber still works, but when it turns on, it may stay on and only turn off by removing the batteries. It may also not turn on... plus, it doesn't make sound anymore.

As for next year... I'm unsure whether as to cosplay as something different or, to try and upgrade my suit and make a Vader V2. If I go with that, hopefully I can resolve the above issues.

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great time, Craig!

As for the suit, if you don't mind messing it up a bit, you could cut holes in the back and sides where it's covered by the cape and robes. A simple black t-shirt would blend in so if a hole was inadvertently seen, it would likely be missed by the viewer. Also, you could try stitching the control box to one side of the jacket and only velcro the other side, so that even if the velcro gets loose, the box should stay attached. Lastly, you'll just have to buy a new (possibly longer) lightsaber!

I've got no solution for the fogging lenses. I know scuba divers rinse out their masks with water before putting them on to somehow avoid fogging, but I don't understand the science of it and don't know if that would help you out in any way.

Thanks, guys! :)

COMaestro, I think you're absolutely right. I've been thinking about trying to get holes cut in the under suit, particularly in spots that you won't actually see it due to the cape/robes. I'm hoping I can fix the lightsaber, or at least source a new and better one.

I honestly want a new helmet, because the one I have is essentially a kid's toy, so the helmet, while big, is not as big as the actual Vader helmet, if that makes sense?

So while I was at PAX, I got a professional photo done by an Australian photographer, Scott Dixon of SLDixon Photography - https://sldixon.com/ - he's apparently quite a well known photographer in the Australian cosplay scene. He was doing photo shoots for all attending cosplayers, for free, and had the lighting and portable studio set up so photos would look like posters of the upcoming Justice League film. He was super cool and friendly and even personally sent me my photo straight up. I was blown away by it, so happy when I got it.

Bx0NB63.jpg

I honestly can't believe that's me under that mask. I bloody love it. :)

Nice photo, Craig!

Yeah, I could tell your Vader helmet was undersized in comparison to the real thing, but it's such a minor quibble unless you are going for 100% authenticity that I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

Thanks, guys! :)

Yeah, the helmet is a tad small. I mean, it fits my head just fine, but it's not a "real size" Vader helmet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod