Is Resident Evil losing it's touch?

Sprax said:
However RE isn't a horror game. And that's what people seem to forget. It's a survival turned into a survival action. I think the new direction is nice, related to the story, and getting rid of those horrible, horrible, camera angles was a blessing.
Correct, it isn't now. But it was, and that's what changed.

The game reinvented itself so recently that you can't really say that it's getting stale anymore. I can think of quite a few other franchises that are more out of touch.

for me if the zombies were gone i'ts not RE anymore because resident evil evolves and
and be known because of the zombie scumbag who eat flesh..
if they put out the zombie it will only be known as a pure action scene...
:twisted:

used44 said:
The game reinvented itself so recently that you can't really say that it's getting stale anymore. I can think of quite a few other franchises that are more out of touch.

tomb raider is the first one to pop into my mind, and as much as i like dmc, it's way out of touch.

it's good to see game developers take a chance and try to re-invent games. other wise we would all still be playing platformers.

Oh. Speaking of, I have to go find TR Underworld...

Regarding TR re-inventing itself.... I don't know if I would say it has re-invented, more like it got back to its roots...

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
Uver said:
KoalaRainbowPoop said:
well link, while that is a valid point, i still think there is nothing scarier than being the only white man surrounded by a bunch of black people ^_^

Uh, dude, not cool...

oh, stop taking things so seriously. learn to laugh buddy. even if it seems racist, crass, or sickening.

That was a lil on the offensive side but I do fear for the white man.

The last true survival horror resident evil game was the gamecube remake and resident evil zero for gamecube Granted Resident evil 4 is an excellent game, it isn't survival horror neither is Resident evil 5.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
Uver said:
KoalaRainbowPoop said:
well link, while that is a valid point, i still think there is nothing scarier than being the only white man surrounded by a bunch of black people ^_^
Uh, dude, not cool...

oh, stop taking things so seriously. learn to laugh buddy. even if it seems racist, crass, or sickening.

Perhaps his issue was with it not being funny. :?

Anyway, onto topic. This is more a case of survival horror going stale than Resident Evil. Do we need another Silent Hill, really? That series went downhill pretty damn fast after the third.

Sure, RE4 is a great game (overrated, but a great game nonetheless), but RE5 is nothing more than an arcade shooter. After a while there is not much more to be added to the story, and it's now starting to mirror the endless Halloween or Saw movies, each outing more pointless and tired than the last.

This is a trend relating to entertainment media as a whole. New games/movies will be produced as long as they make a profit, regardless of the harm that may do to the franchise.

Resident Evil has died a slow and painful death over the past ten years. As much as I enjoy Resident Evil 4, that's kinda where it started going down hill. If it were me making the decisions I would have used the Gamecube remake and Zero as the standard and went from there. That's what would have seemed to be the most logical thing to do.

It's hard to say. In my opinion, Resident Evil needed a serious change after all those games in the past and Resident Evil 4 was it. Easily one of the best games ever made. You could say it revolutionised third person shooters.

That being said, I believe the series started to go down hill from there. Resident Evil 5 was a good game, I really enjoyed it due to the co-op aspect but it didn't "feel" like a Resident Evil game at all. It felt totally different. Sure, Resident Evil 4 was totally different too but it still "felt" like Resident Evil. 5 however, did not.

Resident Evil 6, what the hell? I was really excited for that game but so, so disappointed by it, regardless of the Leon/Helena campaign that featured zombies. It's lost it's touch.

Is a "reboot" in order, or should they try and continue the story? I don't know how Capcom can help themselves regarding Resident Evil.

Resident Evil 4, to me, seemed more like it refined the controls from Kill Switch than anything else. Kill Switch frequently gets overlooked which is a shame because it was really good. It came out in 2003 and I think that it was one of the first, if not the first, games to utilize the over the shoulder shooting mechanic like it did. I think it did far more for modern gaming than Resident Evil 4 did.

I enjoyed 4, obviously. 5 was good in that it kind of continued on from 4...just sadly wasn't as scary! And had Wesker with a speech impediment, "CHRRRRRIIISISSSHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Leon's campaign in 6 was incredible! I liked Chris' too, because they're at a different pace. But Jake's was just horsepiss. Ada's too.

I enjoyed Leon's campaign, but in all honesty I didn't really like Chris'. Chris' campaign felt like a generic third person shooter. Jake's campaign felt like it was trying to be Uncharted with all the set piece moments... but also Jake's campaign felt very similar to Chris', so playing Chris' campaign, then Jake's felt extremely repetitive.

Ada's campaign sucked. That felt like a chore for me to play and I couldn't finish it.

I don't like resident evil much. It's like so much fiction and no interesting thing. There are other games which I would prefer playing the Resident evil.

^ You're not exactly alone. Almost all of the people I knew grew up playing Resident Evil stopped at the fourth installment. It's really sad that they couldn't follow up properly on RE4 and instead went the generic, although still enjoyable, route.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod