New Year's Resolutions 2018

Hey @Paul Tamburro - apologies for a late response, but thank you for your good wishes to my partner and dad.

It's good to hear you're doing cycling, because even when you are super busy, you're still exercising because that's essentially your mode of transportation. Nice job. :)

I don't really know if this is an "achievement" or not, but in regards to my goal of cosplay, I went ahead and bought some eBooks from Kamui Cosplay as they were on special. They're to do with prop making, painting etc. as I really want to redo and upgrade my Darth Vader armor.

I just got back from getting my body fat scanned and... well, this new diet and training program of mine is working. :)

In just over four weeks, I lost 2.2kg (4.8 Ibs) of body fat, and gained 0.7kg (1.5 Ibs) of lean muscle mass. In total, my body weight was 118.2kg (260.5 Ibs) but now, I'm weighing 116.7kg (257.2 Ibs).

My one rep maxes have also all increased for squat, bench press and dead lift. My squat is now 180kg (396 Ibs), bench press is 125kg (275 Ibs) and dead lift is 210kg (462 Ibs). Really happy with the results so far and I hope to keep it up. :)

Last edited:
How's everyone's new year resolutions going?

Mine has uh, taken a back step.

I've recently injured my knee from an accident at judo training, resulting in a torn meniscus ligament in my right knee. I don't need surgery, but I need four to six weeks of leg rehabilitation. This means that almost all of my leg work, especially squats and dead lifts (my biggest, most calorie-consuming lifts) are for now, out the window.

At the very least, this gives me an opportunity to work on my upper body strength, particularly my bench press, as for a guy my size, my bench press isn't very good (to give you an idea, I'm 6'3, 116kg / 255 Ibs and my maximum bench is 125kg / 275 Ibs). Hopefully at the end of these next four weeks, I will be able to bench press 140kg (308 Ibs) and will hopefully be able to squat and dead lift again.

Apologies to "spam" this thread.

Does anyone do exercise, or other important tasks early in the morning before they go to school or work? If so, how do you find it, and was it hard to adapt into your lifestyle and schedule?

I find that when I'm at the gym on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays... I'm there for a while, anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. It feels a bit too long for me. Some of that is my fault due to how much rest I take in between sets, but the gym can be very busy after work, so I end up waiting to use equipment, or people come up to talk to me.

Not to be rude, but I honestly try to be anti-social at the gym. The more I talk, the longer I'm there for. Personally, I just want to get in, do my thing and go home. I'd never tell people to go away.

I'm thinking about trying to go to the gym early in the morning, like waking up at 5 AM instead of my usual 6:30 AM. I'm thinking I could probably get my work done faster and then even have time to spare in the afternoon/evening. I'm going to attempt to trial this starting next Monday and I am so Goddamn nervous.

Yeah man, absolutely.

I haven't attempted to go to the gym this week. Last weekend, our town was hit by a category two cyclone and there was some damage that needed cleaning up. Well, I accidentally drank water from the tap, and that's generally fine and normal, but what I completely forgot is because of the cyclone, the water was contaminated, so I actually got fairly sick.

I've been off work for the past two days and I've had no desire to go to the gym, so hopefully I can get back onto it next week... maybe not the morning stuff, though.

My resolution this year was to work on positivity.

I left a lot of stuff on the table with my deceased brother and it has weighed on me a lot more than I thought it would. I got serious about taking more time to reflect and meditate and pray. I read more to help give me an outside perspective. I provide service and mentoring through work and church. I am working on escaping less and instead facing a couple truths head on.

It’s been a good couple of years for me and my family and I’m working hard to make sure that I keep myself present, continue to grow and enjoy the moments now instead of reliving things I cannot change or allowing them to exercise control today.

That's pretty awesome, Bret. Positivity in my opinion is a challenging aspect to work on. Certainly rewarding, but challenging. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I can't imagine what it's like to lose a sibling and even though it will honestly happen one day, I don't ever want it to.

As for positivity, I'm working on that myself, to a degree. I've been in my full time job for just over seven years now, and during six of those years, my boss was awful. He was manipulative, always hard on me, deliberately stressed me out (because he admitted to me that he believes stress makes us work harder) and I dare say, narcissistic. However, he's recently left the job and now we have a new boss, who is amazing. I'm finally starting to feel more positive in my work and life in general and I feel like I can try and "rebuild" myself.

Reviving this thread. We're half way through the year already! How's everyone's new year resolutions going? Mine are mixed, but I'm doing okay on a few points.

1 - As always, lose body fat, get stronger, eat better.

So, this has kinda failed, my fitness isn't great. I'm carrying a number of injuries that I've collected over the past ten years from judo and ever since I turned thirty, they're all catching up to me. I have two damaged joints in my right shoulder (SC and AC joints), I have minor tendinitis in my right elbow, I get occasional sharp pain in both my wrists (yet to be diagnosed, pain comes from pressure/bending of wrists), my right knee has a torn meniscus ligament, and I have two partially torn ligaments in my right ankle. My left ankle also has some issues too, as evident by pain, swelling and clicking/cracking sounds, but it's yet to be properly identified.

Because I can't train properly like I was earlier this year, my nutrition hasn't been the best. It hasn't been that bad, but it could certainly be better. I find because I can't train the way I want to, I develop a poor attitude and mentality of "well, I'm not going to eat properly", when I know for a fact that's bullshit and I could.

On the plus side, I don't need any surgery, but I just have to manage my injuries, find work-arounds and rehabilitate myself. Honestly, even the way I sit down on a chair, or get in/out of my car has changed. Simple stuff like that. I sometimes wear a pretty hardcore knee brace when I do judo, and may use strapping tape for things like wrists, fingers etc. When I'm at the gym, depending on the exercise(s), I'll wear a 10mm hard leather weight lifting belt, wrist straps etc.

When I train/fight in judo, I have to think about how I move and I've had to resort to using different techniques in order to avoid pain. This is going to sound super dumb but to give you all a nerdy analogy, I feel like... the transition from Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader. Anakin used to be fast and agile, but once he got stuck in the Vader suit, he had to adjust how he moves and fights to compensate for his new, armored form. For me, it's kinda similar. With all of these stacked up injuries, I have to think about what I do and change things up to allow my body to do particular things, pain free or with as minimal pain as possible. I am also not as fast or agile as I was seven, eight years ago - certainly a lot stronger, but I need to use my head more often.

I don't think I'll be doing any more judo competition anymore, because while judo helped me find a healthy life style and lose so much weight ten years ago, it's also responsible for all these injuries. On the plus side, a month or so ago, I did achieve a new personal best on bench press, 130kg / 286 Ibs and it felt easy. Very happy with that.

2 - Read actual books more often, not just magazines or words on my computer screen.

I've only started reading one book and I've yet to finish it, just out of laziness. I bought "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck" and it's an interesting read with intriguing philosophies. It's nothing mind blowing, it just talks about what to value in life, and what not to value.

3 - Draw more often and in particular, try to make my own bloody website and return to web comics. I have an idea, which I might post in another thread later.

I've been drawing a lot more lately, as evident by spamming the Self-Promotion thread, but I haven't done comics or a website, just illustrations. Still, it's quite fun and I enjoy it. I'm even going to be hosting an artist's table at our local pop culture / anime / video game convention, which will be an experience. I'm super nervous.

4 - Help my friend get his driver's license. He's nearly thirty one and he doesn't have his driver's license. He can be slack at times, but he wants help.

This came to a halt. I found on days when I was supposed to take my friend driving, I'd get busy with something else and wouldn't be able to do it. On the other hand though, he never chased me about it and never asked, he always just kinda... assumed and expected that I would make all arrangements and organisation. Thankfully though, some friends of ours has helped him to buy his own car to learn in, so that's great.

5 - Be a better partner to my partner. I try my best, but I think I can improve.

I think I'm being a good partner to my girlfriend. At least, I hope I am.

6 - Be of better help around the house. I've been doing a lot of house work and cooking last year, but again, I think I can improve.

This has been good, I've been doing a lot more work around the house, trying to be more responsible.

7 - Go outside more often, as I spend a lot of time indoors.

Eh... yeah not really. This is something I should do, especially lately as the weather has been a lot better.

8 - Get out of my comfort zone and try to talk to more people, more often, face to face.

Also not really. I still struggle at times with talking to new people, especially of people in the workplace who are of higher authority, executive level.

9 - Try cosplay again.

I'm thinking about it. I recently bought some PDF eBooks from Kamui Cosplay, because I really want to try and upgrade my Darth Vader armor. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
I'd encourage getting into cosplay, because then you'll see all the people with their immaculate bodies and amazing costumes and want to self improve to reach their level.

I'd encourage getting into cosplay, because then you'll see all the people with their immaculate bodies and amazing costumes and want to self improve to reach their level.

Haha, my body is far from immaculate, but I do like the Darth Vader cosplay and would like to better it. I like the idea of cosplaying with a mask/helmet, as I don't really want my face in the photos (insecurity thing).

Reviving this thread because it's 2019 and just wondering... how did everyone go with their New Year's resolutions?

My 2018 resolutions weren't good at all, and a lot of things happened that were out of my control and kinda not great.

- I really hurt my right knee, resulting in knee reconstruction.
- I lost my job - I'm still employed, but I lost my job due to an (in my opinion) unfair system and I got transferred somewhere else, where I am not using my full skill set and I am having a lot of challenges.

Things are looking up, though. I had surgery, did a lot of rehab and am now doing regular exercise again. I've lost 5.9kg (about 13 Ibs) in three weeks. Going to the gym three to four times a week, going to judo twice a week and eating about 2,500 calories a day. I'm currently 114.5kg (252 Ibs) but I hope to be 100kg or less (220 Ibs) in six to eight months time.

I also have the opportunity to start a new, media-related role, like I used to do in a few weeks time... so I am super excited. Things are looking up. :)

How are you all doing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod