For all you movie buffs

I just finished reading The Power Of One (wikipedia) and have to write a book report on it. Part of my report is watching a movie of a related topic to the book and comparing the two. Since I know some of you here know movies a lot better than I do, could you suggest a movie for me to watch? I would say a boxing-themed movie would fit best, but a movie featuring African culture, prisons, exploration, or in a WWII setting (however not directly in the conflict) would also cut it. Thanks in advance!

Try Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe? I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie, its about a boxer in the Great Depression, and is as close as I can think of to the subject you are looking for.

My history class in high school watched the movie once, and i only saw the second half...

Cry, The Beloved Country has all of those (minus boxing)-- of course it was a book first, not sure if that is some sort of taboo with your project.

Oh and it has Darth Vader and Albus Goddam Dumbledore

OK, then watch Rocky 4, it has boxing, and instead of World War 2, it focuses on the tensions of the Cold War. Apollo Creed is in it too. I'm one-hundred percent sure that he is African-American and that's pretty close to African culture. At one point Rocky even explores the icy waste in order to train for the fight. Not sure about any prison references though.

Still that's like 4 out of 5.

The cover of the book reminded me of Empire of the Sun. Has a very young Christan bale in it, good WW2 film about a british boy stuck in a japanese prison camp.

Men of Honor. I know it misses on a few criteria you set out there, but it hits on a few as well.

EDIT: On second thought...I think I was merging Antione Fisher, Men of Honor, and Pearl Harbor all into one giant movie.

Pear Harbor would have a scene or two relating to your topics, but I'm not sure how well that'll go down. Sorry.

keepithowitis said:
I just finished reading The Power Of One (wikipedia) and have to write a book report on it. Part of my report is watching a movie of a related topic to the book and comparing the two. Since I know some of you here know movies a lot better than I do, could you suggest a movie for me to watch? I would say a boxing-themed movie would fit best, but a movie featuring African culture, prisons, exploration, or in a WWII setting (however not directly in the conflict) would also cut it. Thanks in advance!

Just watch Triumph of The Spirit by Willem Dafoe:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098513/

Fact based story about a former Greek Olympic boxer who was taken as a prisoner during World war II and placed in the Auschwitz prison camp. There he was permitted to survive as long as he fought for the amusement of his captors. His father and brother were also held as insurance that he would continue to fight.

keepithowitis said:

You should check out Sarafina.
Awesome and uplifting movie, but accurately depicts the struggles of South Africans, mostly revolutionary students, during the apartheid regime.

I just watched Triumph of the Spirit, it was alright I guess. Not terribly moving, but at least I'll be able to write a good paper about it. Thanks Colin :p

I'd like to watch Sarafina and Cinderella Man in the near future, and I checked out Cry, The Beloved Country from the library yesterday to begin reading. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claywinston