Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!

malakian

Rookie
So has anyone heard about the fabulous UK campaign to get Rage Against the Machine's classic 'Killing In The Name' to the coveted Christmas number 1 spot, usurping Simon Cowell's latest string puppet?

It's being championed by a bunch of celebrities, comedians and radio DJs and is 420,000 strong on its facebook group 5 days before commencement of buying. 100000 have joined today! Incredible. Seen as last years sold 570000, not far off seen as many are pledging multiple buys!

So basically everyone in the UK needs to buy this song next week. This could be one rockin' Christmas! What will everyone's grandmother's think, I wonder?

I bet grandmother's are the one's who shout the end bit the loudest...maybe :p

But yeah, I personally love this jazz. I love rage, and hate Simon Cowell so it's all good! I love it when this song is played in a rock club and literally everyone gets up, sings along and moshes like crazy.

I recall from Love, Actually (a fantastic movie, anyone who doesn't like it is a bloody wanker) Britain has some sort of Christmas music thingy. Could you explain to those of us across the pond more about it?

I remember this happened when somebody from Pop Idol covered Hallelujah and everybody went out and bought Jeff Buckley's version and got it to number 1 last year.

I thought it was awesome and one of the reasons I respect the UK.

let's see, x-factor is produced by a company called syco, an entertainment company established by simon cowell and owned by Sony Music Entertainment. Sony Music Entertainment owns several record labels including one, "Epic Records". Of course Epic records is the label that produced and holds the rights to the Rage against the Machine song, "Killing in the Name".

So, let's speculate, Sony Music knows that a large part of that while their x-factor song should do very well and is expected to top the christmas charts, they also know that a large part of the UK population intensely dislikes this type of simon cowell-style pop music. So they use the internet, particularly social networking sites like facebook to start a supposedly grass roots campaign promoting a song heavy on revolutionary counter-culture lyrics and emotion, exactly in line with the feeling of those who dislike pop music. Both songs fall under the Sony corporate umbrella, so Sony reap the benefits regardless of which song reaches number 1.

...Are you gay?...it's a serious question.

David Bowie + your signature imply your boyfriend's name is Troy Hardon.

I want a bear skin rug...or maybe a tiger. Just as long as it died of natural causes, or attacked my village and I killed it and now use its fur as a breading ground to replenish my people's populace, just as a big 'up yours.'

Christmas number 1 is a reasonably big deal over here. In the past it was stuff like the beatles and queen, now it's just the x factor winner.

But no more! Simon Cowell attacked the campaign as 'stupid and cynical' on TV today, and fab celebrities like Stephen Fry and DJs like zane lowe have been spreading the word positively...Things have gone up a gear!

560000 people now going to lay down a dollar!

UPDATE!

In this pivotal week, rage are neck and neck, with about a 40,000 sales lead over the x factor (americans read: Engliish Idol) winner, and this morning something totally phenomenal happened.

This morning at 9 AM Greenwich mean time, RATM were interviewed on BBC radio 5 live, with Nicky campbell talking to zack and tom about the campaign. Rage then performed LIVE on the radio, and began the famous refrain censored to just 'I wont do what you tell me' before launching into the more profane alternative. They got about 6 or 7 in before the producer yelling 'GET RID OF IT' managed to cut it.

The funniest part was immediately after it was faded out they said 'We had to get rid of that because we weren't expecting that...well we were, but we'd asked them not to and they did it anyway.' Surely there's some clue in the song they might take that attitude...I would have seen it in the tea leaves.

The official chart people are calling it the first proper chart battle in ages. If you are in england and havent bought it, PLEASE do. You can buy it up to 3 times from EACH online retailer legitimately and it's only 29p on amazon! No excuse!

P.S here's the mp3 of this morning's radio broadcast uncensored if you are interested:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z6T3XXET

Also here's a news story on the bbc homepage apologising. lols: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8418158.stm

I was told by some "people", and I use that term lightly since this was the internet, that I "just don't get it".

I get it. Sony BMG owns the rights to the song. While it is awesome Rage is curb stomping some pop idol wannabe, the fact of the matter is Rage already made their money, now most of not all of the profit goes into Sony's pockets.

While it is cool (I thought it was more cool when they did it with Jeff Buckley's single) it is still paying fat cat record execs for bullshit.

I'm tired of bullshit going along with my music.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaminglovex