Marvel/DC Comics - anyone read? Any recommendations?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys. So I've finally started to buy comics, mostly DC comics like Batman, Red Robin etc.

To make matters worse, I've downloaded an app on my iPhone where I can buy/download more comics.

Does anyone here read comics? Any recommendations? I'm a big fan of DC stuff, but I'm not a fan of what I think are "bad" drawings. As dumb as it sounds, if I don't like the drawings, I won't enjoy the comic... unfortunately I couldn't find any examples through Google of what I mean by "bad" :p

Why yes, I do read comics. In fact, while I'm no expert, I did teach a class on Marvel comics last semester and can give a fair amount of recommendations. Honestly, there are a million places to start, so I'll just start with DC.

Don't read the New 52. All of them besides Aquaman and Wonder Woman suck. Badly.

Do look into one-off and such arcs. My favorites of these are things like All Star Superman (seriously one of the best comics ever), Superman: Red Son, just about everything with Year One in the title (though Batman and Green Arrow especially), Kingdom Come (another great one), and others that'll help you get into the characters more.

Once you have a good feel for the characters, I recommend arcs such as Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis. Besides those two, if it has "Crisis" in the name stay away from it.

Also, since he's one of my favorite characters, I would recommend Booster Gold: Blue and Gold, which was amazing but confusing if you don't know DC very well.

As for Marvel, well... that's a lot trickier. So I'll save that for later.

If you want art, look for anything done by Alex Ross, and specifically, Marvels. It's a fantastic story that takes place in the 60s and 70s version Marvel universe, and done in the most beautiful and realistic looking comic art you'll see. After that, grab DC's Kingdom Come for the same style art and a story set in the future that pits DC heroes against a new class of 'heroes' that have become dangerous and irresponsible vigilantes.

Examples from Marvels:
1218704718.1241_full.jpg

tumblr_m09hycrUhP1qknht2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mh1i67iUS41rur0aro1_500.jpg

From Kingdom Come
S_KingdomCome3.jpg

640px-Aquaman_Kingdom_Come_01.jpg

719524-kc_superman_super.jpg

Seconding Alex Ross stuff.

There's a reason why I've used Alex Ross stuff for my avatar for so long.

Another great artist to look into is Jim Lee, who does a more traditional, but still amazing, comic book look.

That Galactus is badass. Anyone here following Thunderbolts? I don't have as much time for comics, what with all my free time going to Hulk Hogan hero worshiping, but has that series ended because I'm reading they've all been arrested and the group was handed over to Luke Cage or something? Fucking lame. They were my favorite anti-heroes.

Comics, hazaa!!!

My favourite Batman comic is the Long Halloween. It's pretty much a stand-alone kind of story (it's the inspiration for The Dark Knight, kind of). I'd recommend that and it's sequel, Dark Victory. Both are written by Jeph Loeb, who is pretty great. I also highly recommend Hush, which is written by Loeb and drawn by the aforementioned Jim Lee. Paul Dini and Judd Winnik are also Batman writers I really enjoy.

I disagree with Longo on All-Star Superman, mostly because I think Grant Morrison is one of the worst writers ever. I can't stand anything he writes (I enjoyed Batman R.I.P, but that was only decent). But Year One is amazing (so is The Dark Knight Returns, both by Frank Miller).

Speaking of Frank Miller, he wrote Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, which I highly recommend. Also, Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman. That flew under a lot of people's radar, but is seriously one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. I read pretty much only Batman from DC and Daredevil from Marvel, so talk to me more if you're into those fellas.

Rakon said:
I disagree with Longo on All-Star Superman, mostly because I think Grant Morrison is one of the worst writers ever. I can't stand anything he writes (I enjoyed Batman R.I.P, but that was only decent).
Even Serious House on Serious Earth?

I agree with Rakon. Long Halloween is my favorite comic ever.

But I like Grant Morrison so what do I know.

Jeph Loeb does a lot of really good stuff. Like Hush and Fallen Son.

But he also did Ultimatum, which was one of the worst comic arcs I've ever read.

So it's a mixed bag.

Longo_2_guns said:
Even Serious House on Serious Earth?

Yes. Everything he writes is just a bunch of ideas stuck together without much coherency. Batman is in one room on this page, and then the next page he's in a different room with different people and no explanation given as to why or how he left the previous room. Best example of this is the Return of Bruce Wayne, where Bruce isn't shown leaving any time period, and Morrison just starts the next chapter having Bruce being nice and settled in the next time period (he was MARRIED in one of them and didn't explain it).

While to be fair, I'm not a Superman fan, I really liked the idea of All-Star Superman, and I did read both parts. I had to ask my friend (a big Superman fan) about a lot of the references (which didn't bother me that I didn't get), but the story was weak and while I caught a few underlying things, generally it sucked (and I'm used to underlying themes, as I've previously stated the Sandman by Neil Gaiman is my favourite literature ever and one of my favourite works of anything ever, and that shit has so many underlying themes it's almost sickening).

I did really enjoy Red Son though.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Don't worry about the Noir series, we (GR) found out the hard way.
Spider-Man Noir, Daredevil Noir, and Punisher Noir are all amazing.
We just happened to pick X-Men Noir. And then not talk about it.

And Rakon, I can understand you not liking All-Star Superman, but even A Serious House on Serious Earth? That one was fantastic.

Hey I had a baby in the NICU and stuff. Bad timing. We should start the Comic Club again. Head it, Professor Longo.

I hadn't read X-Men Noir, since that was kind of the point.

That said, if we want to do it, I'd have to know what everyone has and has not read.

Wow. Holy crap. Thanks for all the input, everyone! :)

Paradox, the artwork you posted, that stuff is amazing... I will have to look into those comics.

I'm kinda laying off the comics for a while. I uh, kinda spent over $50 under a week on comics via the DC comics iPhone app, and I've almost used up all of my mobile phone download quota for the month (which is 2.5 GB) due to all my downloading.

I'm disappointed to hear the New 52 isn't that good and should be avoided... while I visited America I bought the New 52 Justice League Origins comic and I liked it for the most part. :/

I could care less if we pick a new or an old one. It'll suck if I already own it though, since that's still in storage. Nonetheless, XMen did in fact suck. Talking about it just made it evident and talking about it more wouldn't have helped. It was a cool concept, but it just left a lot lacking in several areas...mostly lighting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133