The Least Surpising News of New Decade

Shaft

Regular
Mark Mcgwire used Steroids

Everyone pretty much knew this already, but its the first time he has come out and said it himself.

The question i have for baseball fans out there is what do you do with these superstars who used steroids in regards to the Hall of Fame? Let them in? Keep them out?

I don't care either way, because there are probably a ton of players who have used steroids in the hall of fame already anyway.

Yeah, I saw this on the news aggregates today. I said out loud "How is this news?"

But you bring up a difficult debate. Yes, performance enhancing drugs do change the game (some will say for the better), but how far back do you go? Some could say that chewing tobacco back in the 30s was a form of performance enhancement, and if so, should those players that chewed be removed from the Hall of Fame?

I actually prefer the asterisk next to the name. If you remove them, they just get forgotten. But if you leave their name in the Hall of Fame with an asterisk that says "By the way, this man was a filthy cheater, and that's the only reason he's in here." is far more biting and shameful than just being removed.

every fan of the game knows what the steroid era is, and going forward they'll remember what it was. that's why I say let him in.
baseball's history isn't without its controversy.. so what's changed?

Taking steroids is cheating. If you cheat, you don't deserve to be in the hall of fame. If you don't care for the rules, you don't care for the game.

Whoopity dooooooooooooo! They might as well just clear out the baseball HOF and start over from scratch, where are we going to find someone to make all the giant asterisks that will need to be hung over 90% of the memorabilia kept there?

Exactly, cheaters never prosper outside the business world and that includes those who run the businiess of the MLB.

There was no objective standard when he took them. They weren't against the rules, so taking them wasn't cheating (at that time). Anything else is purely subjective wishy-washy back-and-forth.

The Hall of Fame already has its share of grumpy detractors. You have people who think Andre Dawson is a clear-cut Hall of Famer because he was one of the best players for 5 years or so, and then you have people who say he most definitely is not because his on-base percentage sucked and his "runs created" were meager compared to others left out (e.g., Tim Raines). Simply put, the Hall pleases few.

I agree with Buster Olney. The Hall should be neutral. Put a bunch of steroid users in, sure, but write a neutral description, as with Babe Ruth or Ted Williams (or any other more "pure" Hall of Famer), under their plaque.

Yeah, now time for Bonds and Sosa to come out before somebody ghostwrites his "tell all". I can see the Entertainment Tonight headlines now...

Oh no, some guy is willingly shortening his lifespan and ruining his health for our entertainment. This is a terrible, terrible thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coin Master